Garmin Astro 430 VS Fi
This website features affiliate links. For purchases made via these links, we earn commissions that allow us to keep producing helpful content. To find out more click here. Close
This detailed Fi vs. Garmin Astro 430 comparison lets you quickly discover whether you should entrust Fi or Garmin Astro 430 with keeping your furry friend safe. Scroll down for a complete overview of their crucial features and find out which of these two pet trackers constitutes a better choice overall.
Advanced Pet Tracker With A Battery Life Of Up To 3 Months
The Ultimate Sporting Dog Tracking System
Fi tracker is a dog tracker designed to determine your pet's coordinates, help you locate him or her in case of a potential escape, and monitor his or her activity levels and daily, weekly, and monthly step goals.
- GPS tracking through the LTE-M network + 3-month battery life
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity/Lost Dog Mode with red LED
- Works in all US states and comes in 4 different sizes
- Price: $149.00
- Shipping: $
Garmin Astro 430 is a premium dog tracking system that provides location updates within seconds, tracks up to 20 dogs at once, and has a massive set of both standard and special features.
- High precision with GPS/GLONASS, mean accuracy of 12 feet
- 2.5-second location update rate; 9-mile communication range
- Amazing durability; no monthly fees; 1-year limited warranty
- Price: $649.99
- Shipping: $
Fi tracker is a dog collar infused with numerous modern technologies, including GPS tracking, geo-fencing, and Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity. It features a durable, chew-proof design with an IP-68 waterproof rating. Fi tracker uses the LTE-M network and provides you with global coverage. The battery can last up to 3 months.
GPS Pet Tracker
Fi tracker sports a sturdy, chew-proof design with the GPS tracking module located on the part that goes on your pet’s neck so that it can always face the sky for optimal signal coverage. The tracking module is held in place by a nylon band so you should not rely on Fi as a link for your dog’s leash. The collar comes with an IP-68 waterproof rating, which means it can even withstand salt water.
Fi tracker comes in 3 different sizes: - S - Neck <13”; - M – 13.5” - 16.5”; - L – 16" - 22.5”; - XL – 22" - 34.5”.
Suitable For Cats
Fi tracker does not have a specific lifespan, but its IP-68 waterproof rating and chew-proof design should ensure longevity in spite of your dog’s potential mischief.
Key Tracking Features
Fi tracker's main tracking features include:
- 24/7 GPS tracking on the new LTE-M network, which allows you to keep track of your dog’s movements even when taken out by dog walkers or caretakers;
- Geo-fencing, which enables you to create safe zones and receive instant notifications the moment your pet exits the defined perimeter. You can make as many safe zones as you want, which makes traveling with your pet much less stressful;
- Lost Dog Mode, which switches the unit to live location tracking and activates the red pulsing LED light on the collar, alerting individuals that might see your pet and helping you locate him or her in low-visibility conditions.
Pet Activity Monitoring
Fi tracker helps you keep your dog active and healthy by monitoring his or her daily, weekly, and monthly step goals. You can also compare these reports with other dogs and monitor activity levels when you are not with your pet. You can always swipe to view past activities and tap the step count to toggle between Day, Week, and Month.
Fi tracker does not come with training assistance.
Fi tracker does not provide any additional features.
Fi tracker does not have a specific range since it starts using GPS tracking the moment it is out of range of your Fi base, Bluetooth signal or Fi app. Note that you need to purchase a subscription in order to activate remote tracking.
Up to 3 months
The Fi smartphone app (Android 6.0 and up; iOS 12.0 and up) will show your pet’s location in the primary view and you can scroll your area by swiping across the map and zoom in or out by pinching and pulling your fingers together or apart. The first initial represents your current location and your pet’s photo represents his or her coordinates. The two icons will attach to each other if you are together. The app allows you to activate the Lost Dog Mode and access Fi’s live chat support during the team’s regular business hours.
Fi tracker uses live GPS tracking on LTE-M, which is a low-power cellular network specifically designed for IoT devices. It also uses Wi-Fi when in the range of your home base and Bluetooth to communicate with other devices like Airpods, Fitbits, and others.
Fi tracker allows for 20-30% more coverage than regular 3G/LTE-based devices. It covers every state in the US.
Fi tracker costs $149 and it comes with 3 different subscription options: - 1 year - $99; - 2 years - $186; - 3 years - $248.
Shipping and Delivery
Fi tracker comes with a 30-day trial period.
Fi tracker comes with a 1-year warranty
Garmin Astro 430 is a professional dog tracking system that offers location updates every 2.5 seconds, has a communication range of up to 9 miles, boasts great precision due to the use of both GPS and GLONASS, offers a vast range of special features, tracks up to 20 dogs at once, and comes with no monthly fees.
GPS Pet Tracker
The Garmin Astro 430 tracking system includes one handheld locator and either the T5 or T5 mini tracking unit with a special collar. Both the locator and the tracking units feature a black-and-orange color scheme. They are made of durable materials like heavy-duty plastic and stainless steel. The handheld locator features a transreflective 65-K color TFT display measuring 2.6’’ in diagonal. It comes with standard and long-range stainless steel radio antennas and a top-mounted GPS antenna. The T5 tracking unit comes with a top-mounted GPS antenna and standard and long-range radio antennas while T5 mini comes with a top-mounted GPS antenna and a standard radio antenna. Both tracking units feature LED light beacons and the locator is equipped with a vibration motor.
The Garmin Astro 430 handheld locator is compatible with the T5 and T5 mini tracking units that differ in size. T5 measures 1.74’’ x 3.5’’ x 1.85’’ (HWD), comes with a 1-inch collar strap, and weighs 9.3 oz. with the collar. T5 mini measures 1.8’’x 3.1’’ x 1.4’’ (HWD), comes with a 0.75-inch collar strap, and weighs 7 oz. with the collar. T5 is suitable for neck circumferences of 9.5+ inches while T5 mini fits smaller necks.
Suitable For Cats
Garmin Astro 430 is not shockproof, but both the locator and the tracking units are durable, waterproof, impervious to dust and dirt, and suitable for use in all kinds of harsh conditions. They are built to withstand frequent bumps and blows and they can easily last for years with no diminishments in functionality.
Key Tracking Features
Garmin Astro 430 is a feature-rich pet tracker that offers:
- Near-real-time tracking with a 2.5-second location refresh rate, accuracy within 12 feet, and 10,000 points of information per dog;
- Additional maps, such as BirdsEye Satellite Imagery, HuntView, TOPO U.S. 24K, and City Navigator NT for turn-by-turn routing;
- BaseCamp software for trip planning;
- BaseStation software for computer tracking;
- Multiple tracking profiles, such as hunting, automotive, marine, and recreational;
- Multiple dashboards within a single page;
- Customizable dog display providing dog name, direction, distance, and status data.
Pet Activity Monitoring
Garmin Astro 430 does not monitor pet activity.
Garmin Astro 430 does not provide training assistance.
Garmin Astro 430 offers a multitude of bonus features, including but not limited to:
- Hunt metrics providing insight into dogs’ hunting patterns and behavior;
- Convey counter for creating up to 2,000 waypoints;
- Rescue mode for battery saving;
- Wireless sharing;
- Area calculation;
- Hunt and fish calendar;
- Sun and moon information.
4 miles with T5 mini, 9 miles with T5
T5 mini: 7 oz. with collar; T5: 9.3 oz. with collar
Handheld locator: up to 20 hours; T5: 20-40 hours; T5 mini: 16-30 hours
Garmin Astro 420 does not come with a smartphone app.
Garmin Astro 430 uses GLONASS and GPS for location tracking and radio frequency signals for inter-device communication.
Garmin Astro 430 does not rely on external services, so it can work anywhere in the world. However, due to varying international regulations, it is only approved for use within the US.
Shipping and Delivery
Garmin Astro 430 can be shipped throughout the US, including Alaska and Hawaii. Shipping is free of charge - unless you opt for next business day shipping, in which case you pay an $18 shipping fee.
Garmin Astro 430 comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Garmin Astro 430 comes with a 1-year limited warranty. Repairs come with a 90-day warranty.
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Geoffrey Stanley on 12/10/2019The thing I like most about this app is that it has its own app where you can track your dog’s movement easily and without confusion. I’m not good with tech so it’s really important that know what I’m doing and fi tracker app made it easy. Another thing I like is that is not state limited so I can use it even when I take my dog traveling. We went hiking when we were at my boyfriend’s parents in Colorado and the app worked all the way even when we were high up and without a strong signal. I feel safe knowing my Penny is well taken care of.
- Submitted By Jose Ball on 11/29/2019I very satisfied with the tracker except for the collar which didn’t last that long. I have two dogs one of them being very active. He likes to chew everything most of all his brother’s collar. Every time we go out both of my dog get very excited and while Ben knows how to sit down and wait for the leash, Roger gets unbearable while he jumps up and down and keeps biting his brother’s collar. Long story short the collar is all chewed up and has to be replaced. I was hoping it could withstand more.
- Submitted By Delbert Gomez on 11/20/2019This Fi tracker is the best thing that has happened to me! My buddy and I take long walks around to the lake almost every day. He loves jumping into the water even when it’s cold outside and this tracker seems to be handling it very well. For me the battery lasted more than a month and a half and gps work even in the remote areas where coverage is not that good. The app is easy to read and it has the lost dog mode which is immediately activated in case anything bad happens. I feel much better ever since my dog started wearing it.
- Submitted By Tommie Mccoy on 11/02/2019I always wondered what would I do if Charlie, that’s my dog, would to run away when we were traveling. I would love to take him anywhere with me but I don’t know how he’ll react to new environments so I leave him with my mom and dad mostly. And it was tearing my heart. I did a little research and found that Fi Tracker enables whole country coverage in case you and your pet leave the state. I’ve recently bought it I was amazed by how long the battery lasts, I didn’t need to charge it yet and it has been almost a month. Finally, I was able to take Charlie on a road trip, we went to see my parents is Vioming for a test drive. I was tracking our movement on the app the whole time we were there. Couldn’t be happier!
- Submitted By Leah Thomas on 11/27/2019Before I bought the Garmin 320 I read somewhere in the reviews that there is a rescue mode option that allows you to save the battery by switching to it and that feature enables you to save the battery life when it’s on its end and track you dog for a few hours more. It also has a highly advanced map tracking options that allows you to update maps depending on taking the road or going through water and stuff like that. It’s a really professional device because it offers so much more than a regular map which you get with a regular pet tracker and you can also store detailed information about each time you catch something like place, time and that sort of stuff.
- Submitted By Clayton Logan on 08/08/2019Apart from being expensive I can’t seem to find anything wrong with this tracker. My wife bought it for me as a birthday present, I think she likes to see me out of the house honestly, and it really did the trick. The only thing I think needs improving is the battery which could be a bit more long lasting but you can recharge it over night. The range is impressive, almost 10 miles with gps being wildly accurate at all times. There is no glitches or bugs, the tracker is fast and precise and what I like the most is that you can adjust the display to show you important information without having to stop and look for it yourself.
- Submitted By Austin Fowler on 05/02/2019This is a durable device built to withstand everything you can possibly thing off. My dog and I had some crazy adventures and let me tell you I didn’t think it would last. I’m sorry to see the company disconnected the line but I truly hope the new version is as good as this one. I can not tell you how many times the bright orange collar helped me spot Max and stopped me from making noise and ruining a perfectly good shot. I really do thing that is worth every penny and you can see that is is built to last. The performances are excellent including the gps which is crazy spot on.
- Submitted By Lyle Pearson on 03/07/2019I’m a passionate hunter so a friend recommended Garmin. It was a bit pricey but I did my research and read tons of reviews and finally decided to invest. The company has such a good reputation which has proven to be a deciding factor. It everything proofed, long range and I can transfer all the data via usb. The battery, however, needs some improvement considering it is a regular aa battery and the life span is not too long. The same goes for the rechargeable battery which only lasts for 40 hours max and my hunting trips sometimes last for 3, or 4 days straight in complete isolation. I suggest improving that otherwise everything else is great!
Fi tracker is a modern pet tracker primarily designed to locate lost dogs and monitor their location and activity levels on a daily basis. The collar comes packed with numerous impressive features and has a battery that can last up to 3 months. Read this honest and comprehensive Fi tracker review to learn more and see if the unit works for you.