FitBark 2 and Garmin Astro 430 are both highly rated pet tracking solutions, but they greatly differ in terms of the features they offer. In this FitBark 2 vs. Garmin Astro 430 review, we list their top qualities side by side and determine which of these two pet trackers offers greater value for your money.
- Price: $69.95
- Shipping: $
- High precision with GPS/GLONASS, mean accuracy of 12 feet
- 2.5-second location update rate; 9-mile communication range
- Amazing durability; no monthly fees; 1-year limited warranty
- Price: $649.99
- Shipping: $
- Near-real-time tracking with a 2.5-second location refresh rate, accuracy within 12 feet, and 10,000 points of information per dog;
- Additional maps, such as BirdsEye Satellite Imagery, HuntView, TOPO U.S. 24K, and City Navigator NT for turn-by-turn routing;
- BaseCamp software for trip planning;
- BaseStation software for computer tracking;
- Multiple tracking profiles, such as hunting, automotive, marine, and recreational;
- Multiple dashboards within a single page;
- Customizable dog display providing dog name, direction, distance, and status data.
- Hunt metrics providing insight into dogs’ hunting patterns and behavior;
- Convey counter for creating up to 2,000 waypoints;
- Rescue mode for battery saving;
- Wireless sharing;
- Area calculation;
- Hunt and fish calendar;
- Sun and moon information.
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Clyde Hanson on 11/28/2019I wasn’t aware that this is not a pet tracker but instead an activity monitor for you and your dog which wasn’t the point and I really needed to keep track of my dog and make sure he is safe. However I got used to its awesome features and now I’m thrilled I made the mistake. It’s fun doing all the stuff you like with your dog while having records of it in case you decide to switch up the routine and compare it with your previous results to see which regime produces better results.
- Submitted By Darrell Wells on 09/11/2019I like to keep records and track progress so the fact that FitBark stores data from 100 days back is something that made this purchase happen and I really like that it doesn’t relly on mobile networks so it can work anywhere we travel. But what I like the most and I found that after I bought it is that you can set goals depending on how active and old your dog is. Right now we are on the active level but I’m hoping to reach the olympian soon.
- Submitted By Maria Flores on 08/20/2019I’m a great dane and a Chihuahua mom so I can confirm that this device can fit on any dog. It is easily adjustable to their collars and so far it withstood a couple of bites successfully. We are an active family so it is important for us to keep records and track everything we do. Also I like the fact that it is waterproof but I tend to take it off for as a precaution. I would prefer that it takes less time to charge but considering the battery lasts for almost 6 months it’s not that much.
- Submitted By Leonard Robertson on 06/20/2019I didn’t buy this device to work as a pet tracker but to be able to track my dog’s activity along with my own and make sure both of us get enough exercise. My job doesn’t allow much movement and unfortunately, my dog is often left at home during my work hours so making up for that is extremely important for me and him. I also like that it uses Bluetooth connection instead relying on mobile or wifi connection. The range is not that big but it works for me.
- Submitted By Leah Thomas on 11/27/2019Before I bought the Garmin 320 I read somewhere in the reviews that there is a rescue mode option that allows you to save the battery by switching to it and that feature enables you to save the battery life when it’s on its end and track you dog for a few hours more. It also has a highly advanced map tracking options that allows you to update maps depending on taking the road or going through water and stuff like that. It’s a really professional device because it offers so much more than a regular map which you get with a regular pet tracker and you can also store detailed information about each time you catch something like place, time and that sort of stuff.
- Submitted By Clayton Logan on 08/08/2019Apart from being expensive I can’t seem to find anything wrong with this tracker. My wife bought it for me as a birthday present, I think she likes to see me out of the house honestly, and it really did the trick. The only thing I think needs improving is the battery which could be a bit more long lasting but you can recharge it over night. The range is impressive, almost 10 miles with gps being wildly accurate at all times. There is no glitches or bugs, the tracker is fast and precise and what I like the most is that you can adjust the display to show you important information without having to stop and look for it yourself.
- Submitted By Austin Fowler on 05/02/2019This is a durable device built to withstand everything you can possibly thing off. My dog and I had some crazy adventures and let me tell you I didn’t think it would last. I’m sorry to see the company disconnected the line but I truly hope the new version is as good as this one. I can not tell you how many times the bright orange collar helped me spot Max and stopped me from making noise and ruining a perfectly good shot. I really do thing that is worth every penny and you can see that is is built to last. The performances are excellent including the gps which is crazy spot on.
- Submitted By Lyle Pearson on 03/07/2019I’m a passionate hunter so a friend recommended Garmin. It was a bit pricey but I did my research and read tons of reviews and finally decided to invest. The company has such a good reputation which has proven to be a deciding factor. It everything proofed, long range and I can transfer all the data via usb. The battery, however, needs some improvement considering it is a regular aa battery and the life span is not too long. The same goes for the rechargeable battery which only lasts for 40 hours max and my hunting trips sometimes last for 3, or 4 days straight in complete isolation. I suggest improving that otherwise everything else is great!
Garmin Astro 430 is a professional dog tracking system that provides fresh location updates every 2.5 seconds, boasts great accuracy and durability, and has more useful features than you can count. If you do not want to settle for just any pet tracking device, read this Garmin Astro 430 review to learn all about this highly advanced tracker.