Marco Polo and Garmin Astro 320 are both highly rated pet tracking solutions, but they greatly differ in terms of the features they offer. In this Marco Polo VS Garmin Astro 320 review, we list their top qualities side by side and determine which of these two pet trackers offers greater value for your money.
- Accurate within 12 feet, location updated every 5 seconds
- Communication range of up to 9 miles in open, flat spaces
- Incredible range of advanced and special tracking features
- Price: $449.99
- Shipping: $$5 to $28 *
- Easy indoor and outdoor tracking in any corner of the world
- Quick alerts and a minimum safe zone radius of just 50 feet
- Battery life of up to 45 days, up to 3 days with live tracking
- Price: $234.95
- Shipping: $0 *
- Near-real-time tracking with location updates every 5 seconds, accuracy within 12 feet, and 10,000 points of information per dog;
- Customizable dog display, showing the dog’s name, direction, distance, and status along with a map;
- Advanced mapping, with multiple map options, including BirdsEye Satellite Imagery, TOPO maps, City Navigator NT map data for turn-by-turn routing on roads, and custom maps;
- Trip planning with BaseCamp, which lets you easily organize maps, waypoints, routes, and tracks and create adventures that can be shared with friends;
- Different tracking profiles, such as hunting, recreational, automotive, marine, geocaching, and fitness;
- Tracking via computer, using BaseStation software;
- 3-axis electronic compass;
- Multiple dashboards available on any page for added functionality.
- Wireless sharing with compatible devices;
- Rescue mode, which reduces the location update rate when the battery level drops below 25% in order to extend battery life by 4-8 hours;
- Convey counter, which allows you to create special waypoints with information on the location, time of day, and elevation where the dog found the prey, alongside other waypoints including locations like truck, lodge, food plots, and tree stands;
- Calendar for keeping track of your adventures;
- Hunt and fish calendar;
- Sun and moon information.
- True real-time tracking, with location information updated in a few seconds;
- Single-button tracking, which allows even absolute beginners to easily track their pets with live tracking activated with a single push of the button;
- Safe zones, with 4 preset boundary levels available, including 50-feet, 100-feet, 300-feet, and maximum-range radius;
- Alerts, sent when your pet leaves the safe zone, arriving within a maximum of 80 seconds;
- Phone notifications, enabled via the external alarm output, with prerecorded voice messages sent to 1 or multiple phone contacts;
- Search mode, used when your pet is out of range, which allows you to receive a beep alert when communication between the tracking tag and the locator is reestablished.
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Vincent Hunt on 11/15/2018My two dogs simply love roaming around my 50-acre farm as well as the surrounding area and Astro 320 tracks them over the whole property without a hitch. Now, I can simply press the button on the device attached to the collar and let them run to their heart’s content.
- Submitted By Madison Spencer on 10/17/2018I’m a passionate hunter and just had to buy this tracker once I saw my friend using the 220. It’s really easy to track my dogs now even when we’re in a wooded area. However it doesn’t work for me when I plug it into my car and it charges very slowly when not connected to the power socket in my house.
- Submitted By Tim Owens on 06/22/2018Much, much better than Astro 220, the maps are awesome, it may be expensive but any hunter can tell you that it's more than worth the cash.
- Submitted By Rob Walker on 04/12/2018Impossible to list all the reasons why Astro 320 is the best dog tracker I've ever used, you simply have to try it yourself. I first tried my pal's Astro and I was just blown away, ordered it the same day, been using it for more than half a year, not a single glitch and I'm loving it more every time I use it.
- Submitted By Tim Kelly on 09/20/2019I bought this tracker specifically for the reason it is not limited to just USA. I travel a lot and take Bambie with me everywhere I go and I feel much safer knowing I can keep track on her when we are not together. She’s so used to us being together all the time that acts out when I leave her with the dog sitter and there were a few times she got away. Luckily I was notified right away since tracking doesn’t rely on cell networks. The first thing I did when I bought the tracker is set up her safe zone so I can keep an eye on her if she decides to look for me when I’m not there.
- Submitted By Martha Day on 05/20/2019The button tracking feature is just great because it shows you the arrow that moves in the direction of your pet. If you plan on roaming in the wild you should definitely turn it on in case your dog wonders somewhere. One other thing you can do is to build a safe zone around your dog and receive a notification if the dog leaves its safe space. The message will be sent quickly, maybe a minute. Both my boyfriend and I get alerts in case Simon runs away somewhere which happens a lot so we can tell you that this tracker really works.
- Submitted By Fergus Kim on 02/01/2019This device is just a tracker and it does nothing for your dog’s activity. I don’t have a problem with any of its features tracking wise but I hoped that at least it will work as some kid fit beat machine. I can however monitor the distance my dog covers since it is reported avery few seconds. That way I could at least know how much miles Rita has covered that day. I one other thing they should do is make an app for your phone so you can track your dog more easily.
- Submitted By Damian Mccormack on 12/08/2018Marco Polo dog tracker is what I would recommend to anyone who has an active pet or one that is not very well trained. In case your dog somehow gets away from you the tracker reports under a minute. Once you set a safe zone in which your dog usually resides the tracker will alert you if he or she gets out. You can react right away and not allow for anything bad to happen to your dog because its movement will update every few seconds.
Garmin Astro 320 is one of the most impressive GPS dog tracking systems currently on the market. Everything from its high accuracy and location update frequency to its amazing set of special features promises to take dog tracking to a whole new level. Read our Garmin Astro 320 review and discover whether this advanced tracker is worth splurging on.