Nuzzle VS Garmin Astro 430
This website features affiliate links. For purchases made via these links, we earn commissions that allow us to keep producing helpful content. To find out more click here. Close
Garmin Astro 430 and Nuzzle may seem quite similar at first glance, but they are actually more different than you may initially assume. This Garmin Astro 430 vs. Nuzzle comparison is designed to show you exactly what each of these two pet trackers offers, highlight their main strong and weak points, and reveal which one of them may be a more reliable tracking solution.
The Ultimate Sporting Dog Tracking System
No-Fee Cellular GPS Pet Tracker
Garmin Astro 430 is a premium dog tracking system that provides location updates within seconds, tracks up to 20 dogs at once, and has a massive set of both standard and special features.
- High precision with GPS/GLONASS, mean accuracy of 12 feet
- 2.5-second location update rate; 9-mile communication range
- Amazing durability; no monthly fees; 1-year limited warranty
- Price: $649.99
- Shipping: $
Nuzzle smart collar is a no-fee GPS tracker for dogs and cats characterized by above-average accuracy. It provides both location tracking and activity monitoring and works all over North America.
- Accurate within 10 feet, 60-second location updates
- Works over any distance within AT&T cellular coverage
- 15-day money-back guarantee and 12-month warranty
- Price: $149.99
- Shipping: $0
Garmin Astro 430 is a professional dog tracking system that offers location updates every 2.5 seconds, has a communication range of up to 9 miles, boasts great precision due to the use of both GPS and GLONASS, offers a vast range of special features, tracks up to 20 dogs at once, and comes with no monthly fees.
GPS Pet Tracker
The Garmin Astro 430 tracking system includes one handheld locator and either the T5 or T5 mini tracking unit with a special collar. Both the locator and the tracking units feature a black-and-orange color scheme. They are made of durable materials like heavy-duty plastic and stainless steel. The handheld locator features a transreflective 65-K color TFT display measuring 2.6’’ in diagonal. It comes with standard and long-range stainless steel radio antennas and a top-mounted GPS antenna. The T5 tracking unit comes with a top-mounted GPS antenna and standard and long-range radio antennas while T5 mini comes with a top-mounted GPS antenna and a standard radio antenna. Both tracking units feature LED light beacons and the locator is equipped with a vibration motor.
The Garmin Astro 430 handheld locator is compatible with the T5 and T5 mini tracking units that differ in size. T5 measures 1.74’’ x 3.5’’ x 1.85’’ (HWD), comes with a 1-inch collar strap, and weighs 9.3 oz. with the collar. T5 mini measures 1.8’’x 3.1’’ x 1.4’’ (HWD), comes with a 0.75-inch collar strap, and weighs 7 oz. with the collar. T5 is suitable for neck circumferences of 9.5+ inches while T5 mini fits smaller necks.
Suitable For Cats
Garmin Astro 430 is not shockproof, but both the locator and the tracking units are durable, waterproof, impervious to dust and dirt, and suitable for use in all kinds of harsh conditions. They are built to withstand frequent bumps and blows and they can easily last for years with no diminishments in functionality.
Key Tracking Features
Garmin Astro 430 is a feature-rich pet tracker that offers:
- Near-real-time tracking with a 2.5-second location refresh rate, accuracy within 12 feet, and 10,000 points of information per dog;
- Additional maps, such as BirdsEye Satellite Imagery, HuntView, TOPO U.S. 24K, and City Navigator NT for turn-by-turn routing;
- BaseCamp software for trip planning;
- BaseStation software for computer tracking;
- Multiple tracking profiles, such as hunting, automotive, marine, and recreational;
- Multiple dashboards within a single page;
- Customizable dog display providing dog name, direction, distance, and status data.
Pet Activity Monitoring
Garmin Astro 430 does not monitor pet activity.
Garmin Astro 430 does not provide training assistance.
Garmin Astro 430 offers a multitude of bonus features, including but not limited to:
- Hunt metrics providing insight into dogs’ hunting patterns and behavior;
- Convey counter for creating up to 2,000 waypoints;
- Rescue mode for battery saving;
- Wireless sharing;
- Area calculation;
- Hunt and fish calendar;
- Sun and moon information.
4 miles with T5 mini, 9 miles with T5
T5 mini: 7 oz. with collar; T5: 9.3 oz. with collar
Handheld locator: up to 20 hours; T5: 20-40 hours; T5 mini: 16-30 hours
Garmin Astro 420 does not come with a smartphone app.
Garmin Astro 430 uses GLONASS and GPS for location tracking and radio frequency signals for inter-device communication.
Garmin Astro 430 does not rely on external services, so it can work anywhere in the world. However, due to varying international regulations, it is only approved for use within the US.
Shipping and Delivery
Garmin Astro 430 can be shipped throughout the US, including Alaska and Hawaii. Shipping is free of charge - unless you opt for next business day shipping, in which case you pay an $18 shipping fee.
Garmin Astro 430 comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Garmin Astro 430 comes with a 1-year limited warranty. Repairs come with a 90-day warranty.
Nuzzle smart collar is a cellular GPS pet tracker that comes with no monthly fees, offers great accuracy, works throughout North America, over any distance within AT&T cellular coverage, and offers a number of useful location and activity tracking features.
GPS Pet Tracker (Smart Collar)
The Nuzzle collar is available in 2 versions – large and small. The small collar is made of waterproof TPU (Thermoplastic Polyurethane) while the large collar is made of heavy-duty nylon. Both the large and small collar come in 2 colors – orange and purple. The tracking unit is made of matte black plastic and comes in the form of a rounded cuboid. The tracking unit can be used with the Nuzzle collar or attached to the pet’s existing collar using the custom connector provided in the package.
The Nuzzle collar comes in 2 sizes: small and large. The small collar is 0.625’’ wide and fits neck circumference of 8’’ to 11’’ while the large collar measures 1’’ in width and fits neck circumference of 14’’ to 22’’. The tracking unit comes in only 1 size and measures 0.75’’ x 2.25’’ x 1.25’’ (HWD).
Suitable For Cats
Nuzzle is highly resistant to water (IPX8 rating) and both the collar and the tracking unit are made of durable materials. Depending on the pet's level of activity and use frequency, the collar and attachment mechanism may suffer slight damages with prolonged use, without diminishing the functionality of the device. The tracking unit does not have a specific lifespan and should last for years with proper use.
Key Tracking Features
The most important location tracking features available with Nuzzle include:
- GPS tracking, with location information updated every 60 seconds, a mean accuracy of 10 feet, and detailed information available within the app, including the pet’s distance from home, distance from the guardian, and average pace, as well as the amount of time the pet has spent away from home;
- Routes, which allow you to view your pet's current and past routes, with details including the date, trip duration, distance, and pace;
- Safe zone, centered in the base station, with 3 sizes available, including 100, 250, and 400 feet in radius;
- Sharing, which lets you share access to your pet’s information with an unlimited number of users, allowing them to join the search or keep an eye on your pet while you are away.
Pet Activity Monitoring
Nuzzle allows you to keep track of your pet’s activity with:
- Daily and weekly activity records available in the form of a color-coded graph;
- Data on the amount of time the pet spent resting, exploring, and playing;
- Activity-related alerts.
Nuzzle does not provide training assistance.
Extra features available with the Nuzzle smart collar include:
- Battery alerts, letting you know when the battery is low and needs to be recharged;
- Temperature monitoring, with the tracker monitoring ambient temperature and providing notifications in case the environment is too hot or too cold for your pet.
Nuzzle works over any distance within AT&T (3G) cellular coverage
Less than 1 oz., 1.45 oz. with the attachment clip
Up to 4 days, 10-12 hours with the highest power use
The Nuzzle app works on both iOS and Android mobile devices. It is compatible with iPhone 4s or later, the 3rd and 4th generation iPad, iPad Air, iPad Mini, and Android 4.1+. The app allows you to create and edit your pet’s profile and add notes such as vet records and medication reminders. It provides insight into the pet’s current location and route, past routes, and daily and weekly activity records. It further provides activity, temperature, and battery notifications, as well as alerts when the pet leaves or enters the safe zone. It can be used to remotely activate the night light on the tracking unit. The app allows you to track up to 5 pets with a single account. There is no limit on the number of individuals who can use the app with 1 account.
Nuzzle employs GPS technology for tracking outside the safe zone, Bluetooth technology within the safe zone, and cellular technology for communication between the tracking unit and the pet guardian's smartphone.
Nuzzle works in all 50 US states, Mexico, and Canada, within AT&T (3G) cellular coverage.
Shipping and Delivery
Nuzzle comes with free shipping throughout North America.
Nuzzle comes with a 15-day money-back guarantee. You can return the device within 15 days from the delivery date in order to receive a full refund. Furthermore, you can exchange the collar for a different size within the first 15 days after delivery.
Nuzzle comes with a 1-year limited warranty. The warranty covers all elements of the tracking system, including the tracker and accessories. It does not cover lost devices or damage caused by improper use. The warranty does not apply to the functionality of the tracking system.
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Leah Thomas on 11/27/2019Before I bought the Garmin 320 I read somewhere in the reviews that there is a rescue mode option that allows you to save the battery by switching to it and that feature enables you to save the battery life when it’s on its end and track you dog for a few hours more. It also has a highly advanced map tracking options that allows you to update maps depending on taking the road or going through water and stuff like that. It’s a really professional device because it offers so much more than a regular map which you get with a regular pet tracker and you can also store detailed information about each time you catch something like place, time and that sort of stuff.
- Submitted By Clayton Logan on 08/08/2019Apart from being expensive I can’t seem to find anything wrong with this tracker. My wife bought it for me as a birthday present, I think she likes to see me out of the house honestly, and it really did the trick. The only thing I think needs improving is the battery which could be a bit more long lasting but you can recharge it over night. The range is impressive, almost 10 miles with gps being wildly accurate at all times. There is no glitches or bugs, the tracker is fast and precise and what I like the most is that you can adjust the display to show you important information without having to stop and look for it yourself.
- Submitted By Austin Fowler on 05/02/2019This is a durable device built to withstand everything you can possibly thing off. My dog and I had some crazy adventures and let me tell you I didn’t think it would last. I’m sorry to see the company disconnected the line but I truly hope the new version is as good as this one. I can not tell you how many times the bright orange collar helped me spot Max and stopped me from making noise and ruining a perfectly good shot. I really do thing that is worth every penny and you can see that is is built to last. The performances are excellent including the gps which is crazy spot on.
- Submitted By Lyle Pearson on 03/07/2019I’m a passionate hunter so a friend recommended Garmin. It was a bit pricey but I did my research and read tons of reviews and finally decided to invest. The company has such a good reputation which has proven to be a deciding factor. It everything proofed, long range and I can transfer all the data via usb. The battery, however, needs some improvement considering it is a regular aa battery and the life span is not too long. The same goes for the rechargeable battery which only lasts for 40 hours max and my hunting trips sometimes last for 3, or 4 days straight in complete isolation. I suggest improving that otherwise everything else is great!
- Submitted By George Lawson on 06/18/2018False alarms, late notifications, and I need to charge the battery every day, that's not what I call reliable. Not bad but not that good either, better battery is a must.
- Submitted By Amanda Lee on 03/02/2018Looks great, works great, there's nothing I would change, except for maybe the app, it was a bit confusing for me at first, but I guess it's because I've never used a pet tracker before.
- Submitted By Jessica Robins on 02/22/2018Super easy to use, really light, and I am impressed how accurate it is, plus all the information is there, the speed, time, distance, real neat. Maybe it would be nice to have activity recommendations, I've seen it in other pet trackers, but it's not that big of a deal.
Garmin Astro 430 is a professional dog tracking system that provides fresh location updates every 2.5 seconds, boasts great accuracy and durability, and has more useful features than you can count. If you do not want to settle for just any pet tracking device, read this Garmin Astro 430 review to learn all about this highly advanced tracker.