Garmin Astro 430 and Tractive GPS may seem quite similar at first glance, but they are actually more different than you may initially assume. This Garmin Astro 430 vs. Tractive GPS comparison is designed to show you exactly what each of these two pet trackers offers, highlight their main strong and weak points, and reveal which one of them may be a more reliable tracking solution.
- High precision with GPS/GLONASS, mean accuracy of 12 feet
- 2.5-second location update rate; 9-mile communication range
- Amazing durability; no monthly fees; 1-year limited warranty
- Price: $649.99
- Shipping: $
- Live tracking with location data updated every 2-3 seconds
- Waterproof, shockproof, lightweight, and attractively designed
- 12-month guarantee and free replacements during the service period
- Price: $79.99
- Shipping: $0 *
- Near-real-time tracking with a 2.5-second location refresh rate, accuracy within 12 feet, and 10,000 points of information per dog;
- Additional maps, such as BirdsEye Satellite Imagery, HuntView, TOPO U.S. 24K, and City Navigator NT for turn-by-turn routing;
- BaseCamp software for trip planning;
- BaseStation software for computer tracking;
- Multiple tracking profiles, such as hunting, automotive, marine, and recreational;
- Multiple dashboards within a single page;
- Customizable dog display providing dog name, direction, distance, and status data.
- Hunt metrics providing insight into dogs’ hunting patterns and behavior;
- Convey counter for creating up to 2,000 waypoints;
- Rescue mode for battery saving;
- Wireless sharing;
- Area calculation;
- Hunt and fish calendar;
- Sun and moon information.
- Live tracking mode, with location information updated every 2-3 seconds;
- Fully interactive map, which lets you switch between 4 different views, including regular map, hybrid, satellite image, and augmented reality;
- Speed, which enables you to find out how fast your pet is moving;
- Altitude, which allows you to discover the current altitude of the device from sea level;
- Location history, which shows your pet’s previous positions in the form of a linear path on the map;
- Virtual Fence, that is, the safe zone, which can be custom-defined and has a minimum radius of 164 feet;
- Tracker Sharing, which allows you to share your pet’s location with your friends so they can aid you in your search.
- Battery status, which lets you keep track of the device’s battery level within the app, so you can recharge it on time or make haste if you are currently tracking your pet;
- Buzzer function, which allows you to remotely activate the built-in speaker and locate your device more easily if you lose it – not available in the US.
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Leah Thomas on 11/27/2019Before I bought the Garmin 320 I read somewhere in the reviews that there is a rescue mode option that allows you to save the battery by switching to it and that feature enables you to save the battery life when it’s on its end and track you dog for a few hours more. It also has a highly advanced map tracking options that allows you to update maps depending on taking the road or going through water and stuff like that. It’s a really professional device because it offers so much more than a regular map which you get with a regular pet tracker and you can also store detailed information about each time you catch something like place, time and that sort of stuff.
- Submitted By Clayton Logan on 08/08/2019Apart from being expensive I can’t seem to find anything wrong with this tracker. My wife bought it for me as a birthday present, I think she likes to see me out of the house honestly, and it really did the trick. The only thing I think needs improving is the battery which could be a bit more long lasting but you can recharge it over night. The range is impressive, almost 10 miles with gps being wildly accurate at all times. There is no glitches or bugs, the tracker is fast and precise and what I like the most is that you can adjust the display to show you important information without having to stop and look for it yourself.
- Submitted By Austin Fowler on 05/02/2019This is a durable device built to withstand everything you can possibly thing off. My dog and I had some crazy adventures and let me tell you I didn’t think it would last. I’m sorry to see the company disconnected the line but I truly hope the new version is as good as this one. I can not tell you how many times the bright orange collar helped me spot Max and stopped me from making noise and ruining a perfectly good shot. I really do thing that is worth every penny and you can see that is is built to last. The performances are excellent including the gps which is crazy spot on.
- Submitted By Lyle Pearson on 03/07/2019I’m a passionate hunter so a friend recommended Garmin. It was a bit pricey but I did my research and read tons of reviews and finally decided to invest. The company has such a good reputation which has proven to be a deciding factor. It everything proofed, long range and I can transfer all the data via usb. The battery, however, needs some improvement considering it is a regular aa battery and the life span is not too long. The same goes for the rechargeable battery which only lasts for 40 hours max and my hunting trips sometimes last for 3, or 4 days straight in complete isolation. I suggest improving that otherwise everything else is great!
- Submitted By August Redfern on 12/09/2019I recommend Tracative GPS to everyone because it covers a number of countries all over the world so you don’t have to worry you will lose your pet no matter where you go, it doesn’t rely on one phone network alone, it has tons of perks and awesome features, it has a one year guarantee and you can track your pet in real time. All these things play key role at least they do for me and I think that every tracking device should provide the same.
- Submitted By Jayce Daniels on 12/01/2019I think it is fairly priced considering all the features and benefits you get with tracative. I opted for premium service since there’s not much difference in the price but you get more benefits that really come in handy once you need them. It is true that you can’t buy monthly subscription with premium package, only 2 year plan, but I think that it pays out and makes no sense to renew it every month if you plan on using it anyways.
- Submitted By Karam Cotton on 11/20/2019I like that Tracitive is not restricted to just one cell network so there’s no problem with the coverage. I installed the app on both my cell and computer so I can access it whenever it is the most convenient. The app is great and stores location, location history, you can see battery status and activate the safe zone. You can use it for more than one dog and have everything in one place. If your dog leaves the safe zone you planed for him you get instant notification and that is when live tracking really comes in handy because you can immediately see where your dog has gone and find him before anything happens.
- Submitted By Misbah Mayo on 11/17/2019What convinced me to by this tracker is that it has live tracking mode instead of waiting for the data to get transferred. It can mean the difference between a life or death situation if your dog gets loose and runs away somewhere where the traffic is crazy or if it’s too hot or too cold outside. The tracking is easy because the app shows you the map you can easily follow and you can see your dog’s movements. Just make sure you keep live tracking on when you go for a walk or in the area you don’t know. You never know what can happen so better come prepared.
Tractive GPS is a GPS pet tracker for dogs and cats that allows for easy tracking in real time. It boasts worldwide coverage, an unlimited connection range, plenty of extra tracking features, and a highly attractive design. Discover what makes this GPS pet tracking solution superior to its competitors in our comprehensive Tractive GPS review.