Pawscout VS SportDOG TEK 2.0
This website features affiliate links. For purchases made via these links, we earn commissions that allow us to keep producing helpful content. To find out more click here. Close
SportDOG TEK 2.0 and Pawscout may seem quite similar at first glance, but they are actually more different than you may initially assume. This SportDOG TEK 2.0 vs. Pawscout comparison is designed to show you exactly what each of these two pet trackers offers, highlight their main strong and weak points, and reveal which one of them may be a more reliable tracking solution.
Advanced dog tracker for hunters
Inexpensive Community- Powered Pet Tracker
SportDOG TEK 2.0 is the ultimate dog tracking system for hunters that has a communication range of up to 10 miles. It can track up to 21 dogs, it does not require cellular coverage, and it comes with no monthly fees.
- Free 1:100,000 topographical maps preloaded
- Uses GPS and GLONASS for optimal accuracy
- 45-day money-back guarantee; 2-year warranty
- Price: $604.95
- Shipping: $
Pawscout is a Bluetooth pet tracker that lets you track your pet within a range of 300 feet, get an alert if he or she is out of range, and locate your wandering pal with the help of other Pawscout users.
- Small, waterproof smart tag weighing just about 0.2 ounces
- Mobile Virtual Leash safe zone centered in your position
- Keep vet records, track walks & discover pet-friendly spots
- Price: $19.95
- Shipping: $2.95
TEK 2.0 uses GPS and GLONASS for location tracking, it is preloaded with 1:100,000 topographical maps that come with no subscription fees, and its communication range is up to 10 miles with an accuracy of 15 yards. It can track up to 21 dogs with the purchase of additional collars.
GPS Dog Tracker
SportDOG TEK 2.0 consists of a handheld device and a GPS Collar. Made of high-quality plastic, the handheld device comes in black and the GPS collar in red. The size of the device without the antenna is 5.45"x 2.50" x 1.50" (LWD).
SportDOG TEK 2.0 is made for dogs who are 8lbs or larger and have neck sizes between 10.75” and 23.”
Suitable For Cats
Made of high-quality plastic, both the SportDOG TEK 2.0 handheld device and the GPS collar are waterproof. The devices should not be exposed to the sun for long periods of time and the company's warranty does not cover damage made by dog bites or chews.
Key Tracking Features
SportDOG TEK 2.0 comes with a variety of tracking features, including:
- Live tracking through the use of GPS and GLONASS;
- Location updates every 3 seconds (time intervals manually adjustable);
- Voice updates via a Bluetooth-enabled earpiece;
- Access to preloaded 1:100,000 maps that come with no subscription fee;
- Easy-to-use compass;
Pet Activity Monitoring
SportDOG TEK 2.0 does not monitor pet activity.
SportDOG TEK 2.0 does not come with training assistance - unless you also purchase an E-Collar.
Additional features available with SportDOG TEK 2.0 include:
- Trip Computer, where you can view all of the information related to each trip (coordinates, average moving speed, distance traveled, and total tracking time);
- Journal, which allows you to enter and save notes and waypoints;
- Sun/Moon Hunt, providing insights into the sun and moon rising and setting times as well as information about hunting conditions.
Up to 10 miles
SportDOG TEK 2.0 uses rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. The handheld device needs an 8-hour charge and lasts12 hours per charge. The GPS Collar requires a 4-hour charge and lasts for 24 hours per charge. The batteries should last anywhere between 3-5 years.
SportDOG TEK 2.0 does not come with a smartphone app
SportDOG TEK 2.0 uses GPS and GLONASS to determine the pet's location. It also uses HopTek technology, which prevents signal interference and boosts transmitter output power.
Since it does not rely on cellular networks, SportDOG TEK 2.0 can work anywhere in the world.
SportDOG TEK 2.0 costs around $600.
Shipping and Delivery
SportDOG TEK 2.0 is sold through Amazon. Shipping and delivery details depend on location.
SportDOG TEK 2.0 comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
SportDOG TEK 2.0 comes with a 2-year warranty.
Pawscout is an affordable Bluetooth pet tracker with great battery life that allows you to keep track of your pet’s location within a range of 300 feet. It relies on its fast-growing user community to help you locate your pet when he or she is out of range.
Bluetooth Pet Tracker
Pawscout comes in the form of a small tag attached to your pet’s collar. The tag is attached using a circular hanging mount (standard) or flush mount (better for small pets and pets who like to roughhouse). It is round, black, and roughly the size of a silver dollar (1.6’’ x 2.0’’ x 0.4’’). It comes with a black nameplate, but you can replace the original nameplate with any of around 2 dozen custom ones available for purchase in the Pawscout online store.
Pawscout does not come in different sizes, but it fits virtually all collars.
Suitable For Cats
Pawscout is an inexpensive pet tracker that is resistant to water but not to impact. It may last for a year or more if your pet is not prone to rough play. Slight damages are to be expected if your pet is highly active.
Key Tracking Features
The essential location tracking features available with Pawscout include:
- Active location tracking within a range of 300 feet,
- Community location tracking, with notifications sent if your pet is found by another Pawscout user;
- Virtual Leash, which allows you to set up a mobile safe zone around your location;
- Tracking walks, with information on the distance walked and time spent walking;
- Sharing, which lets you enable your friends and family to keep track of your pet’s location.
Pet Activity Monitoring
Pawscout does not monitor pet activity.
Pawscout does not provide training assistance.
Extra features available with Pawscout include:
- Detailed digital pet profile with medical records;
- Coverage map, showing other Pawscout users in your area;
- Pet-related points of interest, with a map showing vets, groomers, shelters, parks, and pet-friendly locations and businesses in your area.
300 feet in all directions (600 feet in radius)
about the same as a quarter (around 0.2 oz.)
6-12 months (disposable, not rechargeable)
The Pawscout smartphone app is available free of charge. It is compatible with the latest versions of iOS and Android. It allows you to track your pet’s location with a handy interactive map, set up a Virtual Leash safe zone, track your pet’s daily walks, view a coverage map showing other Pawscout users in your area, and discover nearby pet-friendly locations. It lets you report your pet as lost and report another user’s lost pet as found. You can share your pet's location with an unlimited number of friends and they do not have to possess Pawscout tags in order to use the Pawscout app.
Pawscout exclusively relies on Bluetooth.
Pawscout can be bought and used in the US and Canada. It can work anywhere, but since it is a community-powered tracking solution, its usefulness is severely limited in other countries with few/no Pawscout users.
Smart tag: $19.95; Custom nameplate: $9.95
Shipping and Delivery
Pawscout can be shipped throughout the US and Canada. Shipping costs amount to $2.95 for US orders and $9.95 for Canada orders. Custom nameplates are shipped free of charge.
If you are not happy with Pawscout, you can return it within 30 days and receive a replacement or a refund.
Pawscout smart pet tag does not come with a warranty.
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Mark on 03/14/2019I initially started with TEK 1.0 and I am happy that this more updated version has a lot more to offer in terms of features and range. The setting up process takes a while and that user manual is super long, however, it's worth every penny even though my wife wouldn't necessarily agree.
- Submitted By Kevin on 01/17/2019It took me a while to read the manual but, thank God that I did because I wouldn't be aware of all the things that TEK 2.0 can offer its users. I used it for the first time last weekend with my hunting buddies and although the range is not as high as it states, it was still good enough.
- Submitted By Paul on 12/07/2018Never go hunting without it. My second-best friend after my dog.
- Submitted By Walter Price on 11/22/2018You can build an entire community with this little device and have your entire neighborhood keep an eye out every time your pet wanders off. Now it’s just the matter of convincing my neighbors to buy this tracker.
- Submitted By Carolyn Stewart on 09/08/2018My cell phone was not compatible with this tracker.
- Submitted By Eric Lopez on 08/12/2018I like how you can attach it to pretty much any collar so I don’t have to buy any extra equipment. I don’t like that you have to download the tracking app since I’m much more used to the commander device.
- Submitted By Roberta Smith on 05/29/2018The accuracy thing is true, it happened to me a couple of times, I didn't get a notification even though my beagle was way outside the range. But I want to say that this does not happen all the time and I like that anyone can use the app for free, it really helps raise awareness about lost pets and helps owners reconnect with their pooches and kitties. Plus, the tag is really useful when we go for a walk, with the virtual leash, I don't even use the real leash anymore.
SportDOG TEK 2.0 is a dog tracking system for hunters that offers great accuracy and precision thanks to the HopTek, GPS, and GLONASS technologies. Offering near-live tracking for up to 21 dogs at a time as well as easy-to-read topographical maps, TEK 2.0 has many interesting features to offer. Learn more in our SportDOG TEK 2.0 review