SportDOG TEK 2.0 VS PetTracer
This website features affiliate links. For purchases made via these links, we earn commissions that allow us to keep producing helpful content. To find out more click here. Close
This detailed PetTracer vs. SportDOG TEK 2.0 comparison lets you quickly discover whether you should entrust PetTracer or SportDOG TEK 2.0 with keeping your furry friend safe. Scroll down for a complete overview of their crucial features and find out which of these two pet trackers constitutes a better choice overall.
GPS & Radio-Frequency Tracker For Cats
Advanced dog tracker for hunters
PetTracer combines high-precision GPS with radio-frequency tracking in order to monitor your pet's location both inside and outside your home and provide you with results through your online account.
- Durable construction with a one-click release function
- Lightweight design with an adjustable strap and LED light
- Up to 30 days of battery life depending on your cat's activity
- Price: $119.00
- Shipping: $
SportDOG TEK 2.0 is the ultimate dog tracking system for hunters that has a communication range of up to 10 miles. It can track up to 21 dogs, it does not require cellular coverage, and it comes with no monthly fees.
- Free 1:100,000 topographical maps preloaded
- Uses GPS and GLONASS for optimal accuracy
- 45-day money-back guarantee; 2-year warranty
- Price: $604.95
- Shipping: $
PetTracer is a cat tracker that combines GPS and radio-frequency tracking to monitor your pet’s location both outside and in your home. It comes with an integrated direction finder that functions even without GPS reception. It is lightweight and durable and the provided HomeStation can track up to 5 cats at the same time.
GPS Pet Tracker
PetTracer features a robust design that ensures durability even with the most adventurous of pets. The collar is made of hard plastic and comes with a customizable nylon strap, which makes PetTracer a one-size-fits-all unit. Its weight of 34g is balanced evenly through the collar, increasing comfort for your pet. The unit comes with built-in white LED lights that help you locate your cat in low-visibility conditions. It also features the auto-release functionality to prevent accidental suffocation.
PetTracer is a one-size-fits-all unit and its minimum circumference is 21.5cm (around 8.46”).
Suitable For Cats
PetTracer features a sturdy construction, which ensures durability and longevity. The ring is made of hard plastic and the adjustment strap is made of tough nylon. Replacements can be purchased separately if your pet manages to damage the strap. The official website also describes the unit as “weatherproof.”
Key Tracking Features
PetTracer includes the following tracking features:
- High-sensitivity GPS antenna, which enables you to monitor the current location of your pet through your personal PetTracer account. The digital map will show you his or her routes in the form of a line or heat signature;
- Radio-frequency direction finder, which is a rare piece of technology that allows you to track your cat indoors where GPS cannot access;
- If you are tracking multiple cats, their movements will be marked by different customizable colors.
Pet Activity Monitoring
PetTracer does not monitor pet activity.
PetTracer does not come with training assistance.
PetTracer does not come with any additional features.
PetTracer has a range of up to 1 mile, which is affected by the configuration of the terrain. The signal can be extended with additional HomeStations.
Up to 30 days
PetTracer does not feature a smartphone app.
PetTracer uses GPS to track your pet outside of your home and radio-frequency direction finder to monitor him or her indoors. The unit does not come with a smartphone app, but you can view the results through your personal account.
PetTracer does not rely on cellular networks, so it can function anywhere in the world if you have Wi-Fi access.
The PetTracer set (GPS collar + HomeStation) is sold for CHF 198.00. Individual collars cost CHF 119.00. Keep in mind that PetTracer requires a subscription. There are 2 options available: - BASIC (12 months - CHF 108.00; 24 months – CHF 192.00; 36 months – CHF 252.00; 48 months – CHF 288.00) - PetTracer Set or a single collar; - PLUS (12 months – CHF 216.00; 24 months – CHF 384.00; 36 months – CHF 504.00; 48 months – CHF 576.00) - Up to 5 cat collars.
Shipping and Delivery
PetTracer is currently only sold in the UK, Switzerland, and the European Union.
PetTracer falls under the Swiss refund rules, which regard refunds as a “goodwill action of the company.”
TEK 2.0 uses GPS and GLONASS for location tracking, it is preloaded with 1:100,000 topographical maps that come with no subscription fees, and its communication range is up to 10 miles with an accuracy of 15 yards. It can track up to 21 dogs with the purchase of additional collars.
GPS Dog Tracker
SportDOG TEK 2.0 consists of a handheld device and a GPS Collar. Made of high-quality plastic, the handheld device comes in black and the GPS collar in red. The size of the device without the antenna is 5.45"x 2.50" x 1.50" (LWD).
SportDOG TEK 2.0 is made for dogs who are 8lbs or larger and have neck sizes between 10.75” and 23.”
Suitable For Cats
Made of high-quality plastic, both the SportDOG TEK 2.0 handheld device and the GPS collar are waterproof. The devices should not be exposed to the sun for long periods of time and the company's warranty does not cover damage made by dog bites or chews.
Key Tracking Features
SportDOG TEK 2.0 comes with a variety of tracking features, including:
- Live tracking through the use of GPS and GLONASS;
- Location updates every 3 seconds (time intervals manually adjustable);
- Voice updates via a Bluetooth-enabled earpiece;
- Access to preloaded 1:100,000 maps that come with no subscription fee;
- Easy-to-use compass;
Pet Activity Monitoring
SportDOG TEK 2.0 does not monitor pet activity.
SportDOG TEK 2.0 does not come with training assistance - unless you also purchase an E-Collar.
Additional features available with SportDOG TEK 2.0 include:
- Trip Computer, where you can view all of the information related to each trip (coordinates, average moving speed, distance traveled, and total tracking time);
- Journal, which allows you to enter and save notes and waypoints;
- Sun/Moon Hunt, providing insights into the sun and moon rising and setting times as well as information about hunting conditions.
Up to 10 miles
SportDOG TEK 2.0 uses rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. The handheld device needs an 8-hour charge and lasts12 hours per charge. The GPS Collar requires a 4-hour charge and lasts for 24 hours per charge. The batteries should last anywhere between 3-5 years.
SportDOG TEK 2.0 does not come with a smartphone app
SportDOG TEK 2.0 uses GPS and GLONASS to determine the pet's location. It also uses HopTek technology, which prevents signal interference and boosts transmitter output power.
Since it does not rely on cellular networks, SportDOG TEK 2.0 can work anywhere in the world.
SportDOG TEK 2.0 costs around $600.
Shipping and Delivery
SportDOG TEK 2.0 is sold through Amazon. Shipping and delivery details depend on location.
SportDOG TEK 2.0 comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
SportDOG TEK 2.0 comes with a 2-year warranty.
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By tony kelly on 11/17/2019This is my first time using a cat tracker and as far as im concerned its really good. the collar is light and slightly soft and can fir cats with small necks,mine is 1 year and 2 months old and fits him just right if i tighten the strap. nothing is perfect with gadgets and only thing it needs is an app which they said is due out next year,however it works find using their web portal and i saved link to homescreen on my smartphone. i had trouble setting it up at first and support messaged me via facebook messenger on a saturday afternoon and we sorted it all out. its very light and battery lasts ok not tested it fully yet and ive had it on fast all the time. it does the job and im happy knowing where my cat is all the time.only downside is the subscription your tied into for one year. at 12.99 monthly from,.,it sounds expensive.but thats ok. def worth it though
- Submitted By Ingrid 115 on 05/27/2019No app but you can look at the results on your account. The collar is not as sleek as it looked in the pictures but it works and does a decent job.
- Submitted By Mario Schwarz on 02/14/2019Ok tracker for the price I guess but nothing special.
- Submitted By Mark on 03/14/2019I initially started with TEK 1.0 and I am happy that this more updated version has a lot more to offer in terms of features and range. The setting up process takes a while and that user manual is super long, however, it's worth every penny even though my wife wouldn't necessarily agree.
- Submitted By Kevin on 01/17/2019It took me a while to read the manual but, thank God that I did because I wouldn't be aware of all the things that TEK 2.0 can offer its users. I used it for the first time last weekend with my hunting buddies and although the range is not as high as it states, it was still good enough.
- Submitted By Paul on 12/07/2018Never go hunting without it. My second-best friend after my dog.
SportDOG TEK 2.0 is a dog tracking system for hunters that offers great accuracy and precision thanks to the HopTek, GPS, and GLONASS technologies. Offering near-live tracking for up to 21 dogs at a time as well as easy-to-read topographical maps, TEK 2.0 has many interesting features to offer. Learn more in our SportDOG TEK 2.0 review