Whistle VS Animo
This website features affiliate links. For purchases made via these links, we earn commissions that allow us to keep producing helpful content. To find out more click here. Close
This detailed Animo vs. Whistle comparison lets you quickly discover whether you should entrust Animo or Whistle with keeping your furry friend safe. Scroll down for a complete overview of their crucial features and find out which of these two pet trackers constitutes a better choice overall.
Accurate GPS Pet Tracker & Activity Monitor
Animo is a premium activity monitor and behavior tracker for dogs developed to learn your pet's daily patterns, interpret them, and convert them into useful and actionable information.
- Small and lightweight monitor with a sturdy construction
- Replaceable battery/6-month battery life/IP67 water resistance
- Dedicated app for the majority of Android and iOS devices
- Price: $90.00
- Shipping: $
Whistle is a popular GPS tracker and activity monitor for cats and dogs that offers an impressive feature set, great accuracy, and an almost unlimited communication range.
- Works over any distance within AT&T cellular coverage
- Create multiple fully customizable safe zones for your pet
- Affordable, small, lightweight, waterproof, and shockproof
- Price: $99.95
- Shipping: $0
Animo is a unique dog activity & behavior monitor that allows you to keep track of your pet's exercise regimens (running, walking), sleep quality, and well-being (barking, shaking, scratching). After the adaptive algorithm synchronizes with your dog's habits (7 days), you can start setting activity goals to make sure they are getting plenty of exercise. It is one of the smallest and lightest devices of its kind and it comes with a proprietary app that can store up to 3 weeks of data between synchronizations. The device utilizes one replaceable battery that should last for about 6 months.
Pet Activity Monitor
Animo features a rugged housing paired with a sturdy mounting loop made of metal. It is a circular device with only 37mm in diameter and weighing just 22g. The package features 3 different silicone bands used to attach the monitor to your dog's collar and it covers widths between 12 and 30mm.
Animo's silicone bands cover collars between 12 and 30mm.
Suitable For Cats
Animo is officially not shockproof, but its rugged housing is more than capable of handling external trauma and extreme conditions. As such, it should last for years without any problems. The IP-67 rating means that it can be submerged in up to 1m of water for up to 30 minutes. The housing is also resistant to fine particles such as dust and sand.
Key Tracking Features
Animo is not a pet tracker.
Pet Activity Monitoring
Animo features an adaptive algorithm that learns your dog's activity and behavior patterns and provides you with reports specific to your pet. The algorithm adapts to changes over time, which means you can monitor his or her activity and behavior as they age. The activity reports include running, walking, playing, and any other activities, the device monitors the number of burnt calories, the sleep score shows the overall sleep quality of your dog throughout the night, and the behavior tracking includes barking, shaking, and scratching.
Animo does not come with training assistance.
Animo allows you to set activity goals for your dog once the monitoring algorithm is calibrated (7 days). The internal memory can hold up to 3 weeks' worth of data between synchronizations.
Animo synchronizes data automatically with your Android or iOS device within 10m.
Around 6 months (disposable)
Animo comes with a proprietary app available on all devices running Android 5.0+ or iOS 9+. The app is absolutely free of charge and shows your pet's activity levels (walking, running, playing...), caloric expenditure, behavioral patterns, and sleep quality. It automatically keeps track of the set activity goals and alerts you the moment something falls drastically under the average value.
Animo utilizes Bluetooth to synchronize data with Android and iOS devices.
Animo can work anywhere in the world.
Animo pet monitor costs $90.
Shipping and Delivery
Animo shipping options include FedEx Ground (Free; 5-7 business days) and FedEx Next Day ($40; 1-2 business days)
Animo comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Animo comes with a 1-year warranty against any defects in material and/or craftsmanship.
Whistle is a lightweight GPS pet tracker that works throughout the US, boasts high accuracy and good battery life, allows for both location and activity tracking and offers extraordinary safe zone customization options.
GPS Pet Tracker
Whistle tracking unit comes in the form of a rounded cuboid and is available in 3 versions, including gray, green, and blue. It measures 1.82 inches in height by 1.45 inches in width by 0.61 inches in depth. It is attached to the pet's collar or harness with the use of a rubber attachment strap. The attachment mechanism allows you to easily twist the device on and off.
Whistle does not come in different sizes and it fits most collars up to 1'' wide.
Suitable For Cats
Whistle is IP67 dirt and shock resistant and waterproof up to 3 feet underwater for up to 30 minutes. It comes with a durable attachment strap made of strong rubber and it is designed to endure rough play. It does not have a specific lifespan but can last for at least a couple of years with proper use.
Key Tracking Features
Whistle allows you to keep track of your pet’s location with:
- GPS location tracking, which allows you to get location updates every 60 seconds;
- Multiple safe zones, which are fully customizable in terms of size and shape;
- 24-hour location history for your pet;
- Text, email, and push notifications sent when your pet leaves the safe zone;
- Sharing, which allows you to give your friends and family full access to all Whistle tracking features.
Pet Activity Monitoring
Whistle allows you to gain full insight into your pet’s activity levels with:
- 24-hour activity records shown in the form of a graph;
- Information on distance traveled;
- Rest time and active time expressed in minutes and hours;
- Information on pet’s activity level (moderate and intense);
- Number of calories pet has burned during the day;
- Custom activity goals, which you can define yourself or let the app define based on your pet’s breed, weight, and age.
Whistle does not provide training assistance.
Extra features available with Whistle include: - battery alerts, notifying you when the device's battery is low and needs to be recharged.
Whistle works over any distance within AT&T and WiFi coverage.
0.92 oz., 1.25 oz. with the attachment piece
About 7 days with good WiFi and cellular coverage
Whistle smartphone app is available free of charge. It is compatible with iOS 10.0+ and Android 5.0+. It allows you to view your pet’s current location on a Google map, browse 24-hour location history, view 24-hour rest and activity data, receive safe zone, battery, and activity notifications, add and remove safe zones, and adjust settings. You can use the app to track multiple pets and share access with multiple users.
Whistle uses GPS technology for location tracking, WiFi technology for creating safe zones, cellular technology for data transfer between the tracking unit and the pet guardian's smartphone, and Bluetooth technology for pairing the tracking unit with the pet guardian's smartphone.
Throughout the US (within AT&T cell coverage)
Device: $79.95 (currently $59.95 with a 20% discount); Service plan: $9.95 with the monthly subscription, $7.95 with the yearly subscription, and $6.95 with the 2-year subscription
Shipping and Delivery
Whistle comes with free 2-day shipping.
Whistle comes with a 90-day money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied with the product, you just need to return it within 90 days of purchase in order to receive a full refund.
Whistle does not come with a warranty.
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Charles_Gray on 12/28/2019It works well but it took me a while before I realized it needs to be placed a certain way, otherwise it gives you wrong information.
- Submitted By Jenna Watson on 08/10/2019What a great little gadget! It works just as advertised and my big hellion still didn’t manage to lose it in action.
- Submitted By Tim Grady on 11/20/2019I’ve noticed that it doesn’t work very good once it’s not within our home’s wifi zone. Sometimes we go camping and there’s almost no cell reception there so we have problems receiving any data at all. But when we are at home the thing works perfectly. It’s fast and accurate and charge it one a week. Once Stella ran away from my daughter when she saw the neighbours can and my daughter didn’t manage to come home and tell us that for about 5 minutes but I already knew since I got notified and we found stella exactly where the app pinpointed the location within a few minutes standing under the tree, barking at the cat.
- Submitted By Marsha Jones on 06/20/2019Tracy used to wander away from our yard and end up in our neighbour’s yard playing with their dog so to be able to track her down and immediately get notified when she escapes is what matters the most. With whistle I can set up a perimiter where she’s allowed to go and get notified once she leaves that space. It saves me lots of time and worrying when she leaves the yard and when I’m not home I just text the resto of the family where to pick her up.
- Submitted By Jenna Simmons on 05/07/2019I love that this app works as any other activity app I use. You simply download it to your phone and use it like any other where you get to see the history and set up goals once you enter your dog’s information. I share Donna’s activity date with my husband so we can know how much exercise she has that day and dont overdo it.
- Submitted By Patric Small on 04/05/2019This was my tracker of choice because it functions as both tracker and activity monitor. As a family we are passionate hikers so being able to track our Tom’s vitals is very important to us especially since he’s an older dog. The thing I also like is that you have constant coverage because is connected with you phone all you need to do is download the app. You can connect through bluetooth and use your home’s wifi. The cell network is AT&T and if you don’t have wifi you can track your dog as long as the area is covered by the network. And when the signal is strong the coverage precision is really good. We didn’t go anywhere so far were the signal isn’t strong so I don’t know how it works in those places.
Whistle is a GPS tracking solution for dogs and cats that provides easy and accurate location tracking as well as comprehensive activity monitoring. It is feature-rich, has a good battery life, and works anywhere within AT&T cellular coverage. Read our objective Whistle review for a full overview of this pet tracker’s key characteristics.