Whistle VS PetPace
This website features affiliate links. For purchases made via these links, we earn commissions that allow us to keep producing helpful content. To find out more click here. Close
PetPace and Whistle are both highly rated pet tracking solutions, but they greatly differ in terms of the features they offer. In this PetPace vs. Whistle review, we list their top qualities side by side and determine which of these two pet trackers offers greater value for your money.
Best For Older And At-Risk Pets
Accurate GPS Pet Tracker & Activity Monitor
PetPace is a modern pet health and activity monitor that utilizes the latest technologies to track important vital signs as well as physiological and behavioral changes and abnormalities.
- Tracks heart rate, temperature, respiration, and calories
- Adjustable comfortable strap that fits all pets over 8 lb
- IP-x7 water resistance; LED indicators; long battery life
- Price: $159.95
- Shipping: $
Whistle is a popular GPS tracker and activity monitor for cats and dogs that offers an impressive feature set, great accuracy, and an almost unlimited communication range.
- Works over any distance within AT&T cellular coverage
- Create multiple fully customizable safe zones for your pet
- Affordable, small, lightweight, waterproof, and shockproof
- Price: $99.95
- Shipping: $0
PetPace is a wireless, low-power smart collar that provides owners with valuable information about their pets' vital signs as well as numerous psychological and behavioral parameters and uploads the data to a cloud-based analytical engine, which evaluates the received information in order to point out any potential abnormalities. It monitors temperature, pulse, respiration, activity levels, calories, positions, and heart-rate variations. It is especially helpful with older or at-risk pets.
Health And Activity Monitor
PetPace features its own collar that comes in 3 different sizes, which means it can fit any pet weighing over 8lb. The electronic case measures 1.57" x 1.27" x 0.59" and weighs only 1.5oz. It features a prominent on/off button paired with an LED indicator. Apart from the collar, PetPace also comes with a home base called the "gateway" that measures 3.07" x 2.11" x 2", weighs 2.18oz, and features 3 LED indicator lights.
The PetPace collar comes in three options: - Cat/small dog - Weight: 8 – 22lb; neck circumference: 8 – 12″ - Medium dog - Weight: 22 – 62lb; neck circumference: 10.5 – 18” - Large dog – Weight: 62+lb; neck circumference: 16 – 24.5” "
Suitable For Cats
The PetPace collar is made of heavy-duty plastic, but the manufacturer does not advertise it as 100% bite-proof. Its waterproof rating is set at IP-X7, which means it can withstand rain, accidental water splashes, and submersion in water up to 3.3 feet for 30 minutes. The device has not been tested against dust and sand. If your pet is not overly aggressive toward his or her accessories and does not go for prolonged swims, PetPace should last for at least a couple of years.
Key Tracking Features
PetPace does not track your pet's location.
Pet Activity Monitoring
PetPace allows you to set activity goals for your pets and monitor activity levels 24/7. By keeping an eye on their established habits throughout the day (eating, drinking, sleeping...), the device is able to detect any changes in activity patterns and provide you and your vet with important insights into your pet's current health status and indicate certain diseases in their early stages. PetPace can also help monitor your pet's activity during recovery from a disease or surgery.
PetPace does not provide training assistance.
PetPace does not provide any additional features.
The maximum communication range between the home base and the collar is 1,000 feet (without any physical obstacles).
The collar: 1.5oz; the home base: 2.18oz
PetPace comes with a dedicated app compatible with Android 4.4+ and iOS 8.2+. It allows you to monitor your pet's activity and vital signs in real-time and receive alerts the moment any abnormality is detected. The app is free of charge and the latest update also introduces the option of logging significant events in your pet's life on a daily basis.
The PetPace home base uses ethernet 1-/100 T and requires an open ethernet port in order to communicate with the collar.
PetPace can work anywhere on the globe.
Pet Starter - $159.95; Pet - $199.95; Pet Plus - $245.95; Pet Platinum - $349.95
Shipping and Delivery
PetPace is currently available in the US, the UK, and Canada. It comes with free shipping.
PetPace comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
PetPace comes with a 1-year warranty.
Whistle is a lightweight GPS pet tracker that works throughout the US, boasts high accuracy and good battery life, allows for both location and activity tracking and offers extraordinary safe zone customization options.
GPS Pet Tracker
Whistle tracking unit comes in the form of a rounded cuboid and is available in 3 versions, including gray, green, and blue. It measures 1.82 inches in height by 1.45 inches in width by 0.61 inches in depth. It is attached to the pet's collar or harness with the use of a rubber attachment strap. The attachment mechanism allows you to easily twist the device on and off.
Whistle does not come in different sizes and it fits most collars up to 1'' wide.
Suitable For Cats
Whistle is IP67 dirt and shock resistant and waterproof up to 3 feet underwater for up to 30 minutes. It comes with a durable attachment strap made of strong rubber and it is designed to endure rough play. It does not have a specific lifespan but can last for at least a couple of years with proper use.
Key Tracking Features
Whistle allows you to keep track of your pet’s location with:
- GPS location tracking, which allows you to get location updates every 60 seconds;
- Multiple safe zones, which are fully customizable in terms of size and shape;
- 24-hour location history for your pet;
- Text, email, and push notifications sent when your pet leaves the safe zone;
- Sharing, which allows you to give your friends and family full access to all Whistle tracking features.
Pet Activity Monitoring
Whistle allows you to gain full insight into your pet’s activity levels with:
- 24-hour activity records shown in the form of a graph;
- Information on distance traveled;
- Rest time and active time expressed in minutes and hours;
- Information on pet’s activity level (moderate and intense);
- Number of calories pet has burned during the day;
- Custom activity goals, which you can define yourself or let the app define based on your pet’s breed, weight, and age.
Whistle does not provide training assistance.
Extra features available with Whistle include: - battery alerts, notifying you when the device's battery is low and needs to be recharged.
Whistle works over any distance within AT&T and WiFi coverage.
0.92 oz., 1.25 oz. with the attachment piece
About 7 days with good WiFi and cellular coverage
Whistle smartphone app is available free of charge. It is compatible with iOS 10.0+ and Android 5.0+. It allows you to view your pet’s current location on a Google map, browse 24-hour location history, view 24-hour rest and activity data, receive safe zone, battery, and activity notifications, add and remove safe zones, and adjust settings. You can use the app to track multiple pets and share access with multiple users.
Whistle uses GPS technology for location tracking, WiFi technology for creating safe zones, cellular technology for data transfer between the tracking unit and the pet guardian's smartphone, and Bluetooth technology for pairing the tracking unit with the pet guardian's smartphone.
Throughout the US (within AT&T cell coverage)
Device: $79.95 (currently $59.95 with a 20% discount); Service plan: $9.95 with the monthly subscription, $7.95 with the yearly subscription, and $6.95 with the 2-year subscription
Shipping and Delivery
Whistle comes with free 2-day shipping.
Whistle comes with a 90-day money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied with the product, you just need to return it within 90 days of purchase in order to receive a full refund.
Whistle does not come with a warranty.
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Clinton Bryant on 10/20/2019This collar is so easy to use and set up on your phone. I’m not a tech wizard or anything but it was easy even for me. I think lots of pet owners have trouble with setting up devices and keeping track of the data. I like that I don’t have to read the data myself but I get notified if anything goes wrong. I know it’s not nice to say but it is better to have someone who is qualified to inform of any potential issues instead of me trying to figure it out on my own.
- Submitted By Lynn Massey on 08/04/2019The only thing I would change on this product is the fact that I don’t have insight into all the data collected from my pet. Instead, I only get alerts in case something goes wrong or is out of the ordinary. Other than that I’m really satisfied to have a device that monitors my dog’s vital functions considering he ‘s really old and has too many health issues. The tracker is connected to the app which is free and it is supported by android and ios. My husband has samsung, I’m on the iphone and you can keep a record of everything from your dog’s walks to his visits to the wet.
- Submitted By Alyssa Richards on 04/20/2019PetPace is absolutely amazing! It gives me a sense of comfort to know that if anything happens to my dog I’ll be aware of it. I have a husky who is almost 16 years old and health hazard increased in the last couple of years dramatically. She had problems with her hips and liver and now she really has trouble with everything. I feel safe knowing that if I’ll get notified in case of any unusual activity so I could react in time.
- Submitted By Lois Maldonado on 01/20/2019I didn’t do my research very well so I taught that next to tracking my dog’s health status I could also track his movements. However, that’s not the case. This device serves to keep your pet’s health in check but offers nothing in regards to monitoring its movements. I have an old dog and this tracker did make sense since I want to know if anything goes wrong but I’d still wanted to know where his at at all times.
- Submitted By Tim Grady on 11/20/2019I’ve noticed that it doesn’t work very good once it’s not within our home’s wifi zone. Sometimes we go camping and there’s almost no cell reception there so we have problems receiving any data at all. But when we are at home the thing works perfectly. It’s fast and accurate and charge it one a week. Once Stella ran away from my daughter when she saw the neighbours can and my daughter didn’t manage to come home and tell us that for about 5 minutes but I already knew since I got notified and we found stella exactly where the app pinpointed the location within a few minutes standing under the tree, barking at the cat.
- Submitted By Marsha Jones on 06/20/2019Tracy used to wander away from our yard and end up in our neighbour’s yard playing with their dog so to be able to track her down and immediately get notified when she escapes is what matters the most. With whistle I can set up a perimiter where she’s allowed to go and get notified once she leaves that space. It saves me lots of time and worrying when she leaves the yard and when I’m not home I just text the resto of the family where to pick her up.
- Submitted By Jenna Simmons on 05/07/2019I love that this app works as any other activity app I use. You simply download it to your phone and use it like any other where you get to see the history and set up goals once you enter your dog’s information. I share Donna’s activity date with my husband so we can know how much exercise she has that day and dont overdo it.
- Submitted By Patric Small on 04/05/2019This was my tracker of choice because it functions as both tracker and activity monitor. As a family we are passionate hikers so being able to track our Tom’s vitals is very important to us especially since he’s an older dog. The thing I also like is that you have constant coverage because is connected with you phone all you need to do is download the app. You can connect through bluetooth and use your home’s wifi. The cell network is AT&T and if you don’t have wifi you can track your dog as long as the area is covered by the network. And when the signal is strong the coverage precision is really good. We didn’t go anywhere so far were the signal isn’t strong so I don’t know how it works in those places.
Whistle is a GPS tracking solution for dogs and cats that provides easy and accurate location tracking as well as comprehensive activity monitoring. It is feature-rich, has a good battery life, and works anywhere within AT&T cellular coverage. Read our objective Whistle review for a full overview of this pet tracker’s key characteristics.